Imee Marcos apologizes for ‘unexpected incidents’ during Martial Law
By Saleema Refran
Source: GMA News
Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos on Saturday apologized for the “unexpected” incidents during Martial Law.
“Iyong tungkol sa apology, sabi ko nga nanghihingi na ako ng patawad sa lahat ng nasaktan sa mga hindi inaasahang mga pangyayari dahil kailanman hindi ninais na may masaktan,” the governor said.
The governor clarified that their family does not deny that there were abuses during Martial Law.
“Wala namang sinasabi na walang kasalanan. Eh talaga namang inaamin nating lahat,” she said.
The governor made the statement in reaction to the statement of former President Fidel Ramos that the Marcos family owes the country an apology for the abuses committed during Martial Law.
“Address [the apology] to all the descendants of the victims, whether or not there is an investigation, to show sincere desire to discard, reject and eliminate already all the dictatorial tendencies and happenings during that period,” Ramos said during an interview with GMA News’ Sandra Aguinaldo.
The Supreme Court voted 9-5 last week, allowing the burial of the late dictator at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.
Ramos cited during the interview the part of the SC’s decision where the tribunal said it disagrees with the petitioners’ claim that Marcos was “dishonorably discharged” through the 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution.
“Kung kakalimutan ‘yun o iismolin o binabalewala ‘yan (EDSA People Power Revolution), para mong binabalewala ‘yung paghihirap, pagsisikap, kontribusyon ng mga sundalo at mga pulis kagaya namin,” he said.
Marcos’ remains were returned to the country from Hawaii after the late dictator’s family entered into an agreement with Ramos in 1992.
Ramos had said that based on the agreement, Marcos’ body will be allowed to be brought back to the country under certain conditions:
- It is flown straight to Paoay
- He would be given honors befitting a major in the AFP because that was his last rank
- He would not be allowed to be paraded in Metro Manila
- The burial will have to be done in Ilocos Norte, there will be no burial in the LNMB
Gov. Marcos, meanwhile, claimed that it was Ramos who said her father should be buried at the heroes’ cemetery.
“Baka nakaligtaan lang niya (Ramos) na in fact, siya ang nagpalawak ng meaning na dapat mailibing sa Libingan ng mga Bayani,” she said.