Bongbong to PNoy: Let history judge Marcos era

By  Elizabeth Marcelo
Source: GMA News

 

Let history judge the administration of Ferdinand Marcos.

Thus, said the son and namesake of the late dictator after President Benigno Aquino III on Thursday countered emerging perceptions that the Marcos administration was a “golden age” in the Philippines’ history.

“Ipaubaya natin ang kasaysayan sa mga propesor,  sa  mga nag-aaral tungkol sa kasaysayan ng Pilipinas. Kami hindi namin trabaho yun. Ang trabaho namin ay tingnan kung ano ba ang pangangailangan ng taong bayan ngayon,” Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.told reporters in a campaign sortie in Pangasinan.

During the 30th anniversary of the EDSA Revolution and the fall of the Marcos dictatorship, Aquino recalled the instances of widespread corruption and human rights violations during the Marcos Era.

He also called out the senator for his continued refusal to apologize for what many consider the horrors of Martial Law. The younger Marcos is running for vice president after a full term in the Senate.

Aquino said the senator’s continued refusal to acknowledge the abuses committed during martial law and apologize for it on his family’s behalf was  an indication that the latter may follow the footstep of the late dictator.

“Kung hindi man lang niya (Marcos) makita ang mali sa ginawa ng kanilang pamilya, paano tayo aasang hindi niya ito uulitin? Ang akin nga, thank you na lang, dahil kahit papaano nagpakatotoo ka sa pagpapakitang handa kang tularan ang iyong ama,” Aquino said.

Marcos, however, denied thinking about declaring Martial Law if he became president.

“Oh, God no. Because if there’s martial law, ibig sabihin we’re in crisis. E ayaw naman nating mapasok ang Pilpinas sa crisis,” Marcos said.

In the latest Social Weather Station (SWS) survey released early this month, Marcos was tied with Senator Francis “Chiz” Escudero as the most preferred vice presidential candidate for the May 9 elections.

Marcos said that instead of criticizing his family and the presidency of his late father, Aquino should instead spend his remaining days in office addressing the country’s problems.

“Kailangan sagutin natin ang taong bayan pagka sinasabi tulungan ninyo kami dito sa mga bagay-bagay na ito, dito sa problemang hinaharap namin. And that is still what we should be doing,” Marcos Jr. said.

Marcos claimed that despite Aquino and some critics’ effort to derail his vice presidential bid the support of some political personalities and the ordinary people remain high.

“Yung suporta yung pagsalubong ng tao ganun pa rin kainit, hindi pa rin nagbabago. Kaya’t nagpapasalamat ako sa lahat ng mga tuluyang hindi nagsasawa sa pagmamahal sa akin, sa pamlya ko, at sa lahat ng aming gustong gawin para tulungan ang bayan,” Marcos said.

Marcos had earlier secured the endorsements of several dominant political figures in north Luzon, namely, former Ilocos Sur Governor Luis “Chavit” Singsons, incumbent Pangasinan governor Amado Espino Jr. and gubernatorial aspirant Mark Cojuangco, incumbent San Fernando City, La Union mayor Pablo Ortega and gubernatorial aspirant Mario Ortega.

Marcos had also secured the endorsements of San Juan City Mayor Guia Gomez and the Eusebio family in Pasig.

  • February 26, 2016
  • News
Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: